Saturday, August 11, 2012

While You Were Sleeping...

I find it curious that non-athletes use the excuse that they don't have time and that's why they don't work out.  Now, before you get all up in arms, I am NOT referring to parents with young children or people caring for the elderly or challenged.  I am talking about the couch-jockeys. 

I am talking about the people who when they find out that I am a Triathlete look at me with an expression of shock and disdain and before they even say a word, their expression is one of, "YOU do triathlons?  You must just do the "mini" ones."  They're referring to the sprint triathlons usually comprising of a .25 mile swim, 12 mile bike and a 5K run.

Imagine the look on their faces when I tell them that I have completed marathons, and two Half-Ironman races and a training for an Ironman.  I think if I had told them that I had three breasts and testicles, they'd be less shocked.

So, while those people were sleeping this morning, or as is the case in Miami - coming home drunk from a night of clubbing, my friends and I were waking up at 4:30am, completing our pre-workout morning rituals, consuming some sustenance and caffeine, lacing up our shoes and heading out.

By 7:50am, I had already completed a 7.5 mile run.  By 9:00am, I had already had breakfast, picked up some items at Whole Foods and was getting some new Tifosi frame-less sunglasses at FootWorks in South Miami to be ready for tomorrow morning's 3h 45m bike and 30m recovery run.

It's now just before 1pm (I've also run a few other mundane errands and watched some TV) and I have the whole day ahead of me to do whatever "normal" people do.  I use the term normal loosely as normal is a relative term...what I consider "normal" sure as hell is not what most people think to be normal.

So, really, it all comes back to the 4-Ds that my high-school dance instructor drilled into my head...Desire, Discipline, Dedication and Dependability.  You have got to want it so bad that nothing will stop you from attaining your goals. 

So the next time someone says they don't have time to work-out, just think back to this post.  There is always time to do what you WANT to do, it just depends on how bad you want it, how dedicated and disciplined you are, and when all else fails, you work out with a buddy and commit to being there to work-out.  The last thing you want is to be known as the person who can never be depended on. 

Finally, I must close with an apology.  My mother said that I may have offended Drag Queens in my previous post ("Sorry for interrupting your stroll in the bike lane") by likening the women who shellac their make-up on before a work-out to them.  In reality - those women WISH they had the skill to apply their make-up so well. 

Until next time - run for your lives!
~J


New milestone achieved this morning while running with my friend Lorena...although we took a second to take this photo, it's the first time since my knee surgery that I've completed interval runs up the William Powell Bridge on Key Biscayne (our only "hill" in South Florida) and ran down them non-stop.  I am happy to report that my knee feels freakin' awesome!  IMAZ here I come!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment